This is the first book I have read by Anyabwile and it will not be the last.
In this short book, Anyabwile teaches us to stare. Remember when you parents told you it was rude to stare at someone? Here, Thabiti gives us permission to stare at what God has accomplished for us in the death and resurrection of Christ.
When we contemplate what He has done we become captivated. We see the world in a different light. Life has so much more meaning.
The book is written in an easy to read format. Anyabwile takes theology and explains it in a way that even the young in Christ can understand. With this in mind we can understand that the Gospel is so profound that people can spend a lifetime and never plumb it's depths. On the other hand, when Christ enlightens someone’s heart, even simplest person can see and experience it.
In 5 short chapters he takes us through the suffering, death and resurrection of Christ. Here is a list of chapters with a short summary.
1. Is There No Other Way? (Christ had to die in our stead. We could not save ourselves.)
2. Why Have You Forsaken Me? (What was it like for Christ to be forsaken by the Father?)
3. Where, O Death, Is Your Victory? (How did Christ defeat death?)
4. Why Do You Seek the Living among the Dead? (all other religious leader are dead except one!)
5. Do You Not Know These Things? (We need to know Christ in the power of His resurrection)
This work would make a great devotional. If you take one chapter a week and meditate on it, I believe it can be extremely beneficial in your walk with Christ. It is also a good read for those who do not know the Lord. To see what Jesus accomplished may lead the sinner to Christ.
I recommend this book and give it 5 out of 5 stars.
I received this book, free of charge, from Reformation Heritage Books and Cross Focused Reviews in exchange for an honest review.