Friday, March 23, 2012

Review: Indelible - Kristen Heitzmann

A lion captures a toddler and carries it off, as a mountain climber tries to save him - the boy not the lion :)

This is just the first few pages.

The story is of a lady called Natalie who has an eidetic memory. She remembers everything she sees. With this talent/problem, the image is embedded in her mind until she sculpts it into clay. She is then free of the image.

The story starts with her nephew being captured by a lion. A mountain climber and rescue worker named Trevor saves the boy’s life. From then on, a huge cast of characters, from a blind painter to a hard nosed reporter, fill the novel. Throughout the story a seemingly crazy person is trying to get to Trevor.

I actually started this book twice. I read the first 100 pages and felt like I had gotten lost somewhere. There were so many characters, I couldn’t keep track. I then started over and slowed down to half my normal reading speed. I then made a list of each character and what roll they played in the story. The book became much better at that point. Around the halfway mark it started to flow. From there until the end it was pretty good. I still felt that if a few characters were left out of the story, this would have been a much better novel.

The novel is not a hard read per say, but the style tended to keep me from getting lost in the story. Many of the other reviews for this book are high. I will give it the benefit of a doubt and say that the style is a little different than I am used to.

I believe many people will enjoy it, but a few, like myself, will feel it is a little too sluggish.

* This book was freely provided by WaterBrook Multnomah for the purpose of an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment