We often hear the phrase: "Jesus is the reason for the season", but do we know the reason that Jesus came in the first place. Christmas has become a romanticized time that people think of a baby in a manger and wise men bringing gifts, but do we truly think about what He came to accomplish?
I have read a few books by Beeke and they have never been disappointing. Beeke is a theologian who can take complicated theology and explain it in layman’s terms, giving anyone the ability to understand.
Here, Beeke takes the theme of the birth of Christ and shows that it is much more than what we think of at Christmas. He gives 31 reasons Christ came to earth. Each of the 31 chapters is filled with scripture and quotes from Church leaders from past and present.
Taking a look at the Table of Contents shows the diversity of chapters:
1. To Do the Will of the Father
2. To Save Sinners
3. To Bring Light to a Dark World
4. To Be Made Like His People
5. To Bear Witness to the Truth
6. To Destroy the Works of the Devil
7. To Give Eternal Life
8. To Receive Worship
9. To Bring Great Joy
10. To Demonstrate True Humility
11. To Preach the Gospel
12. To Bring Judgment
13. To Give His Life a Ransom for Many
14. To Fulfill the Law and Prophets
15. To Reveal God's Love for Sinners
16. To Call Sinners to Repentance
17. To Die
18. To Seek and Save the Lost
19. To Serve
20. To Bring Peace
21. To Bring a Sword
22. To Bind Up Broken Hearts
23. To Give Us the Spirit of Adoption
24. To Make Us Partakers of the Divine Nature
25. To Reign as King
26. To Restore Human Nature to Holiness
27. To Be a Faithful and Merciful High Priest
28. To Be the Second and Greater Adam
29. To Satisfy Our Deepest Thirst
30. To Be Loved by God's Children
31. To Reveal God's Glory
The incarnation is as important as the cross. Without Jesus coming to earth as a man, we could not have been redeemed. He did not come to do a few miracles and tell people to live good lives. He came to release mankind from the bonds of their sin and bring them into reconciliation with the God of the universe.
This book would be a wonderful gift to friends and family members during this Christmas season. It was a tremendous read. Buy a dozen and hand them out to everyone you know.
I recommend it and give it 5 out of 5 stars.
I received this book, free of charge, from Reformation Heritage Books and Cross Focused Reviews in exchange for an honest review.